High Tech High & California Department of Education
The PBL Leadership Academy: Online for Distance Learning
In response to the ongoing situation related to the novel coronavirus (COVID 19), the PBL Leadership Academy shifted all spring work online.
Spanning April 27, 29, and May 1, we hosted the Spring Leadership Institute: Online Edition. Over 200 California public educators joined for synchronous professional learning workshops and asynchronous ongoing learning opportunities.
Spread PBL innovation in your schools to close equity gaps for traditionally marginalized students
- Build your team’s capacity to design, facilitate, and spread authentic PBL rich in math and literacy, especially for traditionally marginalized students.
- Improve educational outcomes for students with special education status, free and reduced lunch status, emergent bilingual students, and related special populations. Integrate special education, career technical education, emergent bilingual education, and traditionally “academic” education practices to create authentic, equity-focused PBL.
- Design, test, share, and spread innovative educational solutions authentic to your local communities.
What is the PBL Leadership Academy?
For the past four years, the PBL Leadership Academy at High Tech High has brought together diverse groups of K–14 educators to work in teams on original leadership projects that address authentic needs in their schools through PBL. Each year, the PBL Leadership Academy focused on specific initiatives to advance and improve project-based learning throughout California. We have published two books, released dozens of video resources, and worked in conjunction with the Career Pathways Trust.
In 2019–2020, our work together focuses on closing equity gaps for special populations of traditionally underrepresented students in California public schools through the use of literacy- and math-rich PBL.
PBL Leadership Academy teams will:
- Come together at HTH in San Diego twice: October 22–23, 2019 and April 22–23, 2020. At HTH, teams will learn from experts, collaborate with one another as well as HTH students and staff, share and analyze projects, and immerse themselves in HTH K–12 classrooms.
- Collaborate as a team to develop and spread literacy- and math-rich PBL practices and curriculum with the ongoing support of an HTH teacher-mentor. And, teams will continuously learn together via online professional learning communities to connect with fellow PBL Academy teams and implement iterative learning cycles, test PBL curriculum, and share core practices.
- Access PBL Academy professional development in your areas. PBL Leadership Academy staff will facilitate ongoing workshops throughout California to support the ongoing development and documentation of authentic PBL experiences among the participants.
- Earn HTH Graduate School of Education Continuing Education Units.
Participation is FREE for each school team for the year, not including travel expenses.
Start building your team now!
The ideal team is highly collaborative and is composed of four educators focused on equity in education through authentic PBL. Each team should have at least one classroom teacher- leader and at least one school site or district leader. The ideal team is diverse and includes team members with personal passions for the success of special populations of students in Career Technical Education, Literacy, and Math.
Contact Randy Scherer for more information.